Have your bookshelves become an eyesore rather than the important design element they should be? Bookshelves often end up becoming a catch-all for unrelated objects. With a little bit of planning and the creative use of accessories they can become an important design feature. Here are some tips for how to arrange bookshelves.
– If you have matched sets of books then put them together on the lower shelves, stacked side by side, to create a solid foundation. If you do not have matched sets, then group books of similar size together on the bottom shelf.
– On the middle shelves arrange groupings that include accessories and books. The accessories could include a small piece of art on an easel, decorative plates or bowls, candles, statues or other collectables.
– For added interest make sure each grouping includes a variety of heights. Lay a couple of small books down on their side, next to a tall vase or candle holder. Also try to include a variety of shapes.
– Add color with candles or plants to your groupings. Include a variety of textures including wood and glass and metal all in one grouping.
– If you have oversized books too tall for the shelf they can be placed flat with other books stacked on top of them.
– All of the books should be brought to the front edge of the shelf for a neat, uniformed look.
– It is usually a good idea to remove the dust jackets and display the books binding.
– Use the top one or two shelves to display art or other accent pieces. This will help create a balanced display.
An organized and balanced arrangement can make your bookshelves a beautiful design element. Keep them feeling fresh by using seasonal items as part of the presentation. Click here to see ideas for decorating with accessories.
Today’s sofa styles have design influences from furniture periods dating back to the Italian Renaissance. A variety of these period influences include adaptations of the camel back from the 18th century, to the heavily carved wood frames of the Victorian era, and simple silhouettes of the Art Deco period in the 1920’s. Ultimately though it […]
Many visitors enter our homes through our front door and step into our foyers. The foyer is ideally a place of warm greetings that give our people a sense of who we are, what we like, and how we live our lives. Many people outfit their foyers by placing something decorative on the wall and […]
Lighting arrangement of a place is the most attracting and impressive feature for a visitor. Table lamp is a device which is a source of light and a beautiful piece of home decor at the same time. From the ancient times, lamps have been in use although they were lit with candles or oil in […]
U-shaped desks resemble the English alphabet “U.” Due to their design, the desks tend to wrap around you thus allowing you to work from all angles. For example, you can work from the front, right, and left side. Although, the desks allow you to work from any angle, they tend to take a lot of […]
The plain wood nightstands of old are a thing of the past unless, of course, one wants a plain wood nightstand. The bedroom nightstands of today come in many styles and colors. They come in different woods, metals and even plastic. There is a nightstand to fit every style. Shabby-chic is as popular as ever […]
© 2018 AnnWilkes. Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.